This Holiday Season, share the gift of knowledge! Education is key when it comes to prevention/elimination of bed bugs. Follow the travel tips below to make sure you don’t bring home any unwanted guests for the Holidays!
When traveling, talk to hotel management before checking in, to find out their policies and procedures for handling bed bugs. Having a proactive prevention and maintenance plan in place is key to successful elimination.
Be aware and observant of your surroundings. Investigate all areas you plan on lying down, sitting or standing still in, for any extended period of time. This is important, since bed bugs are attracted to the heat and carbon dioxide your body produces.
Inspect rooms you are visiting:
- Use a flashlight to look for bugs or blood spots in corners, cracks and crevices
- Behind the headboard (lift off brackets on the wall)
- Along the seams, crevices and piping around the mattress
- Under the mattress pad and under the sheets
- Along the edges and underneath the box spring
- Around joints in bedside tables (including drawers) and pictures above the bed
Steps you can take:
- Never set luggage on the bed or floor
- When entering a foreign room, place luggage in the bathtub and do an inspection, then store luggage on racks set away from the wall or hang items up
- Put any suspect items in sealed plastic bags until you can heat treat them or have them professionally treated with Sulfuryl Flouride.
- Put everything you can into the dryer at 120 degrees for 40 minutes
- Freeze what can’t take the heat for 2 weeks
You can also visit www.bedbugregistry.com to find out if the place you’re planning on staying at for your next vacation has been reported for bed bug infestations.
If you’re having guests at your house for the holidays, follow the tips below to help minimize the chance of bed bugs hitchhiking in on them.
- Don’t allow anyone to wear shoes inside the home. Leave shoes outside, place them in sealed plastic bins or bags and/or heat treat them in the dryer.
- Keep a designated place where guests can keep their coats, purses, etc. and do not place belongings on couches, beds, etc.
- Have your home pre-treated by a referred pest control operator before the holidays for added protection.
We sincerely hope that you, your family and friends all have a lovely holiday season filled with joy.
Help spread the word this Holiday Season, so we can stop spreading bed bugs!