The study, released last week by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is the first to look at this issue. It counted one death and 80 illnesses linked to bedbug insecticides over three years. Many were do-it-yourselfers who misused the chemicals or used the wrong product, however, those seeking professional treatment should research pest control companies to find eco-friendly solutions that won’t be hazardous to their health.
Clients need to be sure any pest control company they work with is using eco-friendly products and utilizing an Integrated Pest Management (“IPM”) Program. IPM utilizes all possible pest control techniques in eliminating existing and potential pest infestations. While pesticides are a necessary tool in the IPM Program, they take on a decreased role. The goals of IPM Program are to:
- Change the living environment of the pests to make it less likely that the pests will be able to survive
- Use inspections and monitoring devices to determine where pests are active
- Use only safe and approved pesticides
- Apply pesticides only to those area(s) where pests are active.
Fumigation with Vikane aka Sulfuryl flouride is a key component in eco-friendly IPM strategies, which guarantees 100% elimination of bed bugs and their eggs in a single treatment.
Sulfuryl fluoride, the active ingredient in Vikane® gas fumigant, is not an ozone-depleting chemical. Vikane contains no chlorine or bromine and, thus, does not deplete stratospheric ozone by the known mechanisms. When a structure is aerated, Vikane rapidly dissipates to non-detectable levels.
Three facts about Vikane explain its special ability to get rid of bed bugs:
- First, it is effective against all life stages of bed bugs, including the difficult-to-control eggs.
- Second, there is no resistance of bed bugs to Vikane.
- Third, Vikane® gas fumigant penetrates into cracks and crevices, into furniture and any other hiding places — yes, even into sensitive electronics — to eliminate the pests.
For more information on Vikane and other eco-friendly treatments for bed bugs contact Bed Bugs and Beyond Consulting at 888-410-133 or visit our web site atwww.bedbugsandbeyond.com